Website Help Needed

What do you like/dislike about the website. Your voice will be heard! ... or keystrokes anyways.

Website Help Needed

Postby MrJymm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:21 pm

We would like to find someone interested in helping Magic rework our website.

This current version is a mash of Joomla, phpBB, and a dedicated LAN organizing module. It works, most of the time, and in general we're very happy with the overall style/layout. But it's got some problems under the hood that need addressed.

We do have a pretty clear idea of what we want, what it should do, and how it should do it. Unfortunately the admins don't have the web skills necessary to create a solution.

Think you can make the Magic-LAN community a better home(page)? Contact us at staff@magic-lan.com!
MrJymm
MAGIC Admin
MAGIC Admin

LANs Attended: 0

Re: Website Help Needed

Postby Firestar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Wow, y'all are taking on another admin? Spiffy! I thought this theme and layout was fairly new (maybe circa mid-2011?)
Image Image
Firestar
MAGIC Member
MAGIC Member

Postby MrJymm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 pm

To be clear, my post does not refer to an admin position. We are simply looking for someone familiar with web design who would like to discuss helping us. That person would not need to have any additional commitment to the group. They don't even have to be a member or be interested in the events.

The current theme and layout are new, and my post mentions that we are happy with them. But it has some underlying stability issues and there are upgrades we'd like to have but don't know how to implement.
MrJymm
MAGIC Admin
MAGIC Admin

Postby Firestar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Ah, ok. Bummer on the stability issues, hopefully someone is found soon!
Image Image
Firestar
MAGIC Member
MAGIC Member

Postby Wedge » Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Mainly, I was the web-admin/designer but my time ATM is rather limited (Generally work 7 days a week and 10 - 14 hours a day) whilst trying to work on my thesis and my pilots license (study'n for the ground test and check ride as I type this).
I'm always available for questions so who ever decides they can help can refer to me for ideas/thoughts/problems, just don't know how "much" help I'll be but hopefully some.
I assure you, I'm an Engineer.
Wedge
MAGIC Admin
MAGIC Admin

LANs Attended: 42

Postby The_Ghost » Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 pm

get more speeding tickets to get your drivers license pulled so now you need a pilot licenses. I hear some cases helicopter pilots in alaksa make a little more then a plane pilot. if your looking for a job with it. :p I think I MIGHT even have some helicopter learning videos and manuals laying around if I didn't throw them out years ago.
Srsly I did cream tho! -BobSmooth

ghost is google meister... -2ply

[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/atomiclee/userbar56005.gif[/img]

[url]http://bakane.on.toribash.com[/url]
The_Ghost
MAGIC Core Member
MAGIC Core Member

Postby Wedge » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Getting my Rotor type rating is definitely on my list, but a little off topic i suppose.
I assure you, I'm an Engineer.
Wedge
MAGIC Admin
MAGIC Admin

LANs Attended: 42

Postby The_Ghost » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 pm

admins- have you even received an email about the job?

I'm not sure if theres anyone in the group or active in the group that wants to take up the task. I stoppd messin with websites a long time ago and dont' really want to get back into it.
Srsly I did cream tho! -BobSmooth

ghost is google meister... -2ply

[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/atomiclee/userbar56005.gif[/img]

[url]http://bakane.on.toribash.com[/url]
The_Ghost
MAGIC Core Member
MAGIC Core Member

Postby MrJymm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:48 am

So, despite our best efforts to neglect it and hope the errors just go away, the website hasn't magically fixed itself during the past few years. We're still interested in assistance if anyone wants to help clean up the errors that are cropping up in the sidebars. Or rebuild it from scratch. We're flexible.
MrJymm
MAGIC Admin
MAGIC Admin

Postby c0Ld » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm willing to help out. Would you prefer to upgrade everything in place, or would you rather reinvent the wheel? Also, how attached are you to the current hosting provider (JustHost based on the IP)?
Tweak17emon: you have taught me well 2ply.
c0Ld
MAGIC n00b
MAGIC n00b

Postby MrJymm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:07 pm

We are not attached to the hosting company, as we are due for renewal in a couple months.

Beyond that, we have lots of ideas for what we'd like to change, but we want to see how this event goes and make sure the group is still viable after this long hiatus before we take any definite steps.

We've received a couple offers to help, and we greatly appreciate that others want to help the site stay alive. We will get back to you about how we might proceed from here. Thanks!
MrJymm
MAGIC Admin
MAGIC Admin

Postby Badinfluence » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:54 pm

"Cliff notes" Take Cold's idea and make it modular so you can do both. && Make the site modular to offset problem children modules/features && Use dynamic sites inside the site to improve it's reliability and make changeovers, problem solving, errors, and development more at your disposal than 1 static host, site, dns-name, and incision to throw all the guts back into when they pop out on the server.

I have a few recommendations, but a trend I have noticed is that everything is using the "Live" "Cloud" framework of opensource (Particle, Bluz, Github docs, and Wiki framework) Personally, I think you should come up with a staged plan, starting with updating the must problematic modules.

IE:
Archive the whole site (make a secondary copy) (Front end, and backend now 2 sites technically)
Start to phase out the front end, and keep the backend the same for redundancy, (This might involve teeing the "datasources" and "tables" together when required.
Start to build your front end at a pace that works for you and your staffing/volunteers/admins
So realistically any problematic modules are replaced or upgraded with a more dynamic page direction system. (DynDns?) and it all isn't hanging by 1 module or script type.

So something like

nerdragemaker.magic-lan.com (older site/full copy of today untouched)
lantracker.magic-lan.com (Registration system, Sign up System, Seating System, etc)
pci.magic-lan.com (Paypal redirection for payment or maybe later a more beneficial revenue stream like a inhouse store.) (PCI stands for pci compliance)

You would hide the redirects to the child sites, and it could act like 1 big site, but if one "module/dns record" crashes, you just hot fail it to the old method with a 60 second dns change.

So the names, yeah fucking bots can put load on your system and force you to fit in a weekly health reboot from their data-mining. Even with Robots.txt, it still queries a lot.
So Nerdragemaker would be your Forums, but not called forums.magic-lan.com so when the bot guesses and queries that, you have it redirected to 127.0.0.1, lol.

But bottom line, modulatizing through DNS to make your overhaul/changeover/rebuild/troubleshooting a bit easier, and keep the site up and modular in a 60 second window. This also would allow a admin is deploy a backup copy fast or even just a message in plain HTML that your fixing it, and take the traffic away from your bleeding server so you can stuff it's organs back in without being bombarded by a staff infection.

It also allows you to move things like "at-the-lan" services to be dns routed with simpler methods to it's closest node rather than the 1 place the site could exist. You could even add and remove dns records for things like video stream of the lan quickly, since a tone of "embedded systems" support the Dyn-Dns framework, with great flexibility.

An example of this that I have done personally, only helps a bit, but here it is,
Live.domainname.com (Your mobile site, webstream, router with captive portal, and/or a local copy of the frontend talking to the same backend, even when web access is imparied, interrupted, or backend has its guts all over the place. Multiple frontends possible, and can be hotswapped, tested/developed, and adjusted for individual events like local tournaments, public events, or whatever you need that day)
Static.domainname.com (Static high load resources that require heavy metal)
Router.domainname.com (Web record of the webhost at whatever IP it is at in that particular 30 second period, yes if your IP changes on the cell network, no one would be able to realistically tell by the service delay)

domainname.com (The "handler" who directs the traffic based on: Source IP (ie googlebot=127.0.0.1, Ghost = 192.168.0.1 [his router], or new ip for new member = X.X.X.X)

So this sounds complicated, but its a simple step by adding modular dns and "visualizing" the concept of your site, not the hardware. I don't expect anyone to understand my whole post, because it relies on you understanding DNS, IPSEC VPN, hosting, frontend/backend, SQL/PHP requests and so on. If someone is interested in this idea, I would throw a diagram/network map together to explain it better and tailor it to the ideas on the table, but it is a lot to map out if no one likes the idea.

Other than being on deaths door the last year, I have been working on a virtualized and mobile internet of things and traditional IT hosting presence with minimal cost,(because doctors $$$) high data and service availability with directed monitoring and tracking, and a "framework" standard for deploying IOT operations very quickly and "covering an IT departments ass," from faulty IS department coding, SQL "life/problems," and general smoke and mirrors for the users so you are never "down," just slow or having to hit F5 a few times. Have no idea how to sell it and I hate selling ideas that I can just do, try, or develop rather than spinning wheels on "budget" problems. Until someone sticks me in a thinktank, hoping develop ideas is someone I would love to help you guys with. Giving an idea away is better than it going to waste.

FUCK, I need to shutup a bit here. Anyway, I will help where I can, but I am more on the design, planning, features, and break/fix side rather than coding side. I understand coding and can follow code, but writing mathematical functions always kicks my ass.
Badinfluence
MAGIC Member
MAGIC Member

LANs Attended: 8

Postby c0Ld » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:14 pm

I was just going to clone everything existing to a Digital Ocean VPS, get it working correctly by updating off of this incredibly vulnerable phpBB version from 2010, and update the DNS to point at it when completed.

We could then work on actual improvements after fixing the glaring issues.
Tweak17emon: you have taught me well 2ply.
c0Ld
MAGIC n00b
MAGIC n00b

Postby Badinfluence » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:43 pm

c0Ld wrote:I was just going to clone everything existing to a Digital Ocean VPS, get it working correctly by updating off of this incredibly vulnerable phpBB version from 2010, and update the DNS to point at it when completed.

We could then work on actual improvements after fixing the glaring issues.

Occam's razor, sounds like the right idea.
Badinfluence
MAGIC Member
MAGIC Member

LANs Attended: 8

Postby Stalin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 pm

KISS
Stalin
MAGIC Core Member
MAGIC Core Member

Next

Return to Website Feedback